The end of September is upon us, and there are a bunch of random things I want to share with you. Not all of them are worthy of an entire post, so I thought maybe I could do this at the end of each month to recap some fun things I’ve been into lately.
- I am loving the SkyFit audio fitness app! My friend recommended it to me (thank you Becca!) and I have been using it quite a bit when I go to the gym. You basically can choose the type of workout you want, how long you want it to be and then you get a personal trainer and music in your ear walking you through the workout. There are countless options so you can either have a new workout every time you use it, or go back to your favorites. If you are curious to see if it is for you, they have a 7-day free trial.
- Another app I have subscribed to recently is Headspace. Have you heard of it? It’s a very popular guided meditation app. Headspace has a 10-day free trial, which I had done once before so I knew I liked it. I just never signed up for it. Until Ben, my 9-year old, mentioned that he was interested in trying meditation. We went through the 10-day trial together and have continued it since. I believe we are on day 18 or 19 of the Headspace journey. We really enjoy the 10 minutes of guided meditation every morning before he leaves for school. I hope we can keep up this good little habit we have started.
- I really enjoyed reading this compilation of 15 career tips from smart women. Liz Gilbert and Brene Brown’s advice were my favorite. Which ones resonate with you?
- It seems that Studio McGee is on fire. This full house reveal from their blog this week rocked my world. I think I pinned every photo.
- Just finished reading this book. Will be posting a review soon, but the bottom line is…if you have kids or teach kids, get it! The book is filled with guidance on how to parent for autonomy so our kids can learn to become independent and confident young adults.
- I had a little birthday money left over to get myself a little something. It was between a pair of new jeans and a new flush mount light for my office. I ended up pulling the trigger on this. Now you know where my priorities are 😉
- And finally, a podcast episode recommendation: “Smarter Faster Better with Charles Duhigg” on the Unmistakeable Creative podcast. I was riveted to this episode for two reasons. First, I recently read and reviewed “Smarter Faster Better”. I thought Charles Duhigg wrote a super interesting and entertaining book about a topic that could potentially have been a total snoozefest. Listening to him talk about the book was almost like re-reading it. Highly enjoyable.
The second reason this episode caught my attention? I feel like there were a few awkward moments between the host, Srini Rao, and the guest, Charles Duhigg. I listen to a lot of podcasts and rarely catch anything being “off”. I don’t know if Duhigg was in a bad mood or maybe he was annoyed that Rao got the title of his book wrong at the beginning (and again at the end), but there was definitely a tension. Despite the weird vibe between the two sometimes, it is still worth listening to. If the episode peaks your interest, then you should definitely get the book. And get back to me if you picked up on the same thing I did.
And that’s a wrap for my September favorites. What’s been on your radar this month?